Monday, December 01, 2008

wireless update

After I installed the system everything worked fine until that evening when the system decided to blow heat without shutting off. We woke up to find out the house was 85 degrees. First, I never knew our system could get the house up to 85 degrees, second I discovered that it was no fault of the honeywell system.

It turns out that we've never really used the second stage of our electric heater in the 5-6 years I've lived here! I replaced the outdoor heat pump a few years ago, and I put a programmable thermostat on 2-3 years ago, but I never had any reason to get into the wiring of the air handler.
Anyway, the first night I just thought that we had the remote sitting in a cold section of the house.

The second night, I disconnected the low voltage wire that brings on the 2nd stage of heat when the first stage can't keep up, and finally this morning, I was fed up and got into the wiring inside of the air handler.

Last night I discovered that one of the heat sequencers are bad, and it is getting stuck in the "on" position. We're lucky we had the fan running in the continuous "on" position, or we would have had a burnout. It ran fine the rest of the night, and all day the next day, and then when I was out dropping Josh off with the baby momma, Mel texted that it was doing it again.

It turns out that both of the internal temperature sensors inside the heater package are bad, and it is causing the duct heater to get stuck in the "on" position. This is an easy fix, I can pick up the parts today- the bad news is that our system never used either stage of the electric heat the way it was wired before! In other words, if we had been running the electric heat before this would have shown up by now.

For now, I have temporarily disconnected the electric heat, and the system seems to be maintaining temperature. I'll pick up the parts I need today, Stay tuned...

No comments: