Thursday, December 18, 2008

experiment in retail

I have been conducting an experiment in "online marketing" because I want to see for myself if people will honestly buy stuff through a reseller online. I have a google adwords account with a few search terms, and I have a couple of retail sites online.
My first page is called johntindaleresources, and I have had quite a few hits, but no takers. Traditional marketing would lead me to believe that I am using the right advertising, but that somehow I've fallen short on the delivery- meaning that somehow the people who are clicking the link are expecting to find one thing, but are being offered something else.
So my next experiment is to try to pare it down to the bare minimum for a few days leading up to Christmas, and see if people will show any interest in a no-frills bare minimum, referral site for last-minute Christmas items and see if I can actually move a product.
I had to upgrade to Google Adwords standard to allow two simultaneous campaigns, and I'd imagine in my lust for clicks, I could easily outrun my budget for this experiment, so I'm going to keep it to a max of $5/ day and only run it from here 'til Christmas Eve. Some of my keywords are "last minute shopping, ipod, and mp3 player"
I have also introduced two other factors, more popular mainline products, and more items with a lower price point. I guess we'll see.

No comments: