Saturday, November 29, 2008

Wireless thermostat from Honeywell

I like to stay up on HVAC technology, and I'm going to be starting an HVAC/ Energy/ Control company in a few months, so I thought it would be a good idea to buy and install the new FocusPro Wireless system from Honeywell.

The system I bought comes complete in the box with wiring and installation instructions. Sometimes it is a little tough for me to gauge how hard or easy something is to install since I'm a bit of a geek and i do this stuff for a living, but I think a DIY'er could do this with a little bit of knowledge about low-voltage wiring.
It only took me a couple hours to install, and it seems to be running like a spinning top. First I disconnected the power to the air handler- even though I was only working with low voltage, its always better to be safe than sorry. Next, I mounted the main control unit to my air handler, and wired up the connections. I have to admit, I got a little nervous when I cut the wire coming from the thermostat!

Next, I mounted the return air sensor, I mounted it high because it is important to make sure it is upstream from any humidifiers or other accessories. I wired up the sensor, and checked all my connections.

Next I returned power to the system and then synchronized all the wireless devices. Once I verified that everything was synced, I mounted the outdoor sensor.

Next, I took the new thermostat and mounted it where the old thermostat was. (since I took a honeywell t-stat out, I could use the old mounting holes) and mounted the new wireless stat. I gotta admit it was nice not having to "wire" the 'stat.

Finally, I programmed the thermostat, and then put the wireless comfort station on the coffee table. I like this thing, because I'm thinking that Mel can take it up to the baby's room and let the system run off of it, so that the baby's room doesn't get cold.

I like the outdoor sensor and the fact that the system can switch whether it reads between the thermostat and the remote. A few things I'd like to see from honeywell is a web interface and a few more "wired" inputs in the main box- like an air pressure switch to tell us when the filter is too dirty, or inputs from other honeywell accessories, like an economizer or one of their ventilation systems.At any rate, it is a good start.

1 comment:

room thermostat said...

First step is to put on your PPE gear followed by turning off the breaker to your furnace. If you have a switch by your furnace I would also suggest turning that to the off position as well.Failing to do this step can, and most likely will, result in damaged equipment and be sure to turn the system off.