Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bravado, testosterone, and all that

Men have a way of being very competitive with each other. Sometimes I wonder if i'm on some survivor/ apprentice show, the way these guys act. Granted, i'm the FNG on this job, but I am starting to get the feeling that these guys do this to each other all the time- like its not going to stop after they get to know me.
No matter the task, everyone claims to know more about it than you. They've done it more times. They've been to the class. They used to work with a guy...
I'm tired of it. I don't want to compete any more with my co-workers. I don't care if you have more experience with the model jk- idgaf- whateveritis thingamajig. Can we just do our job and get out of here with our lives, sanity, and paychecks?
I'm reminded of "real" leaders that I've met. People with doctorates, degrees, positions, rank, etc. You've met them- you stick out a hand and use their title, and they reply "call me Jim, Bob, Sally, etc."
They have a "quiet confidence" that shows they are confident enough in their abilities and title that they don't need to flaunt it. They don't need to end their emails with an alphabet of letters after their name. They know their job and aren't afraid to tell you that they don't know something, or that they are trying to figure something out.
That's what I want. Quiet Confidence- and I really don't care to play your games.

No comments: