Sunday, August 29, 2010

learning, teaching, and learning about teaching.

Overso i took a job as an adjunct teacher at a local tech school. i put in a full day of work that starts at 630m and ends promptly at 3pm so that i can hustle home, get cleaned up and head up to school for a class that goes from 530pm to 1030. So far I've been able to do this 4 nights a week, monday-thursday for two weeks now.
The funny thing is, that despite the rush, and the long hours, my time in the class from 5:30-10:30 is sublime. I really feel like I'm in the right place when I'm with my class.
I really like these guys. They're pretty rough around the edges, but in two weeks we've brazed pipe, soldered, learned about how to operate a vacuum pump & a refrigerant recovery machine. Thursday night, we finished early so we fixed the school's demo walk-in box.
I've also learned a few things about myself. I always thought of myself as a good teacher- but you never know until you see the results of what your students are learning.
finally, this has been a real eye opener for me in understanding just how much I know or don't know about my trade. I have my master's licence in maryland, so by legal definition, I am a master of this- but field work and having to answer classroom questions is making me have to atep up to a whole new lewvel of knowledge and understanding.
Overall, it has been a very stressful but rewarding process, I just hope that I can keep up the pace for another couple weeks, and I'll reserve a final decision about whether to continue for a later date.

No comments: