Sunday, June 08, 2008

twits, blogs, plurks, and 2.0




I have been playing in the web 2.0 world- plurking, twitting, posting, etc. Joining various social networks, trying to stay up with the times. The funny thing I realized after spending a bunch of time on plurk last night- that web 2.0 reminded me of something, and it took me a while to come to it.




Web 2.0 reminds me of AOL 2.0. Sitting there waiting for the chats to update. talking to people, joining the new exciting online community! Yes, there were corporate sites, and yes web pages were static- but if you wanted to be where the action was, you stayed up on all the latest "keywords."


I was a johntindale come lately to AOL. My friends all got part-time jobs as telemarketers for AOL when it first started, and they all got free lifetime AOL accounts with 800# dial-up access. I got a regular package, upgraded it to unlimited for $19.95/ mo, http://web.archive.org/web/19961220154856/http://www.aol.com/and signed up for DSL years later when it became available.


I don't want to be a pundit or a curmudgeon, but it seems that we are getting pretty excited about intefaces and communities that have already been done? Oh well, what goes around comes around. Pardon me, I can feel my karma dropping even as I finish typing this sentence.

Wanna join my buddy list? Now If we could only get our computers to say "you've got plurks/twits" when we sign in.

3 comments:

Miss Attitude said...

I love Plurk! I was addicted to Twitter, but I'm slowly weaning myself off and Plurking more. The fact that Twitter kept crashing didn't help keep my loyalty. Plus, Plurk is way more interactive.

Stephanie Booth said...

I think this shows it's important not to confuse the quality of the tool or community with the excitement proper to any new community or toy. It's very easy to confuse them, and mistake "honeymoon" community adoption with "best tool since sliced bread".

Leslie Carbone said...

I too have been spending more time on Plurk than on twitter, mostly because of twitter's incessant crashes. It seems twitter is becoming a victim of its own success, and Plurk certainly has features twitter lacks. But, really, "there is nothing new under the sun".