Saturday, June 28, 2008

the internets helped me fix my lawnmower


My lawnmower took a crap a few weeks ago and I couldn't get it to start. I'm no engine mechanic, but I know a few things about combustion, and I used to fix my lawnmower when I was a kid- how much could have changed?

Well, the first thing was that the model number has rubbed off of the mower over the years, and I have no idea where the manuals are. So I went on the internets and used that google thingie to find the Murray website. Here's where it gets fun. Briggs& Stratton (who makes the engine) bought the brand, and you can't look up parts breakdowns or manuals without having the MODEL NUMBER!

So I had to get creative with the searches, and fiddle with the mower a bit.
A secret about internal combustion engines (or a log campfire for that matter) need three things to work right. They need air, fuel, and a source of ignition. There are other things that can go wrong, but chances are if your lawnmower isn't working, starting here is a big thing.
I changed the spark plug because the one in there looked pretty foul, I checked the air filter and replaced it, and tried to fire it up. Nothing. So I did a trick I learned somewhere and I soaked the air filter in gas, pulled the rope and WHA! I got it to start, so i had a diagnosis. No fuel. (I also managed to half-ass cutting the grass this way as well)

It turns out that a 4.5 hp Briggs and Stratton from 2004 is a pretty common motor and it also turns out that a clogged carb is a common problem as well for this motor. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_a_Briggs_and_Stratton_4.5_HP_lawn_mower_engine_stop_one_minute_after_it_starts

So I went to the Ebay, and bought a new carb.

I got the carb in the mail yesterday, put it in, and after a little priming, the mower fired right up! So i just want to say, thank you Wiki Answers, Thank you to the Google, and to the Ebay, and to the internets for helping me fix my lawnmower!

1 comment:

ImagineBGP said...

I heart the internets