Monday, May 05, 2008

Seeing the future

I want to be an engineerpoetphilosopherfuturist. I know how to do the first three things, but what does it take to become a futurist? Can you be optimistic about the advance of tech, but pessimistic about what we'll do with it?

futurist dot com has a list of core beliefs that I find fascinating. I agree with most of it, so does that make me a futurist? Maybe I have to join first.

I saw Iron man this past weekend, and it got me thinking (again). Why we don't have hovercars and jet packs yet? We have all this amazing communications crapola- but what I consider the REAL future- the cool applicable stuff hasn't really arrived yet.

We still get in our "cars" powered by 100 year old technology, and drive them on our "roads" paved with a sumbstance we started using over 10k years ago to our post WW2 era inspired "jobs" where we all pretty much do normal run-of-the-mill outmoded outdated kinds of stuff.

I realize that progress is measured in micro-improvements most of the time, but sometimes I'd really like to just jump on my skybike and go take a ride an orbit tether to a space station and go for a two week vacation on the moon like they promised me I would be doing by the year 2000 when I was in elementary school.

If thinking that modern engineering and tech isn't moving fast enough makes me a futurist, then count me in.

No comments: