Saturday, October 29, 2011

xbox360 woes

about a month ago, the xbox360 at my house started acting up. It will only read one disk (Halo Reach.) Right around the same time, my son's xbox360 also took a crap, and it is having some kind of trouble with the video card. It doesn't RROD, but during game play, the screen just goes all screwy.

Without really doing any research online, I figured that since the video card in one xbox was going bad, and the disk drive in the other was going bad, I could just swap out the components from one to the other and we could have at least one working box.

Sounds simple enough, right?

WRONG! apparently the video is built into the board on the xbox, and worse, the disk drive have a serial number that is written into the bios of the device preventing people from changing their own drives!!!! So, in short, I was stuck with two broken xboxes.

My next move was to grab a couple other broken boxes off of ebay and do a little research online in the interim. This has been quite the learning experience to say the least. First, there is a wiki dedicated solely to problems with the xbox360 Second, these things are a PAIN to take apart and third, replacing the drive is fairly common, but it involves flashing the BIOS in the xbox, and I really don't feel like doing that.

I feel like I'm being slightly ungrateful, since I won my xbox through an online contest from Microsoft in 2008, but the thing that really bothers me is that we have two ORIGINAL xboxes- and my son plays games on one regularly at his house, and I just gave the other one two a friend of mine.

Anyway, I'm going to probably buy at least one new one, and maybe send the other one off to microsoft for repair. As for the other two- I know that soneone will buy them on ebay- it seems like the market for broken xboxes on ebay is still pretty hot. I'll let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

bpc consulting said...

Well, it's the PS3 i prefer. A lot of bugs can still be found on its games.

Grease Control said...

You know the 30% malfunction rate is pretty bad in itself but the whole 360 debacle that Microsoft has created is just beyond absurd. ...

Anonymous said...

Ever notice how alll fire departments are primarily white? Ocassional token non-white here or there, but it seems obvious they reserve these soft easy money spots for those who fit their ideal for their "fraternity".
And the pay/benefit package!!! This is an industry which needs privitization, let alone austerity.
If not for that family those three men would still be alive.
How many have to die? If another loses his life will this stop?
Given all the rope they need.

wheatgerm said...

maybe you can fix it, lol but things are made to break these days

johntindale said...

I don't really know what predominately white fire departments have to do with xbox 360, but in the interest of free speech I decided to allow it anyway.